Rhode Island Divorce Records
Are Divorce Records Public in Rhode Island?
Yes, divorce records are public in Rhode Island. The Rhode Island Department of Health's Vital Records Office maintains and provides access to divorce records for the state. These records are considered public records under the Rhode Island Access to Public Records Act (APRA), which ensures transparency and accountability in government operations.
The availability of divorce records to the public promotes openness and allows individuals to access important information about divorce proceedings. Divorce records can be valuable for various purposes, including legal matters, genealogical research, and personal record-keeping.
What Is Included in Divorce Record in Rhode Island?
Rhode Island divorce records typically include essential information related to the divorce proceedings. These records commonly include the names of the individuals involved in the divorce, the date of the divorce, and the location where the divorce was granted. Additional information that may be included in divorce records can vary but often encompasses details such as the grounds for divorce, child custody arrangements, and the division of assets.
It is important to note that while divorce records are public, certain sensitive information may be redacted or restricted from public access to protect the privacy of individuals involved, especially when it comes to matters concerning minors or highly confidential information.
How to Get Divorce Records in Rhode Island in 2024
To obtain divorce records in Rhode Island in 2024, you have several options:
- In-person: You can visit the Rhode Island Department of Health's Vital Records Office in Providence during their operating hours to request and receive copies of divorce records.
- By mail: You can submit a written request to the Vital Records Office by mail. The request should include the necessary information, such as the names of the individuals involved, the date of the divorce, and any other relevant details. You will also need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope and the required fee for obtaining the records.
- Online: If available, you may be able to access divorce records online through the Rhode Island Department of Health's website. However, it is important to note that online access to divorce records may not be available for all years or may require a subscription or payment.
When requesting divorce records, it is essential to provide accurate and specific information to ensure a smooth and efficient process. Fees may apply for obtaining copies of divorce records, and it is advisable to contact the Vital Records Office or visit their website for the most up-to-date information on fees, requirements, and procedures.
Remember, divorce records are public records, and their accessibility helps maintain transparency and accountability in Rhode Island's legal system.
Lookup Divorce Records in Rhode Island
- Barrington Public Library Database
- Barrington Town Clerk Property Records
- Barrington Town Clerk Website
- Burrillville Town Clerk Website
- Coventry Public Library Database
- Cranston City Clerk Website
- Cranston Public Library Database
- East Greenwich Free Library Database
- East Greenwich Town Clerk's Office Website
- East Providence City Clerk Vital Records
- East Providence City Clerk Website
- Foster Town Clerk's Office Vital Records
- Glocester Town Clerk Website
- Jamestown Clerk's Office Marriage Records
- Jamestown Philomenian Library Database
- Jamestown Town Clerk Website
- Jamestown Town Clerk's Office Vital Records
- Little Compton Town Historical Society Archives
- Louttit Library Database
- Middletown Public Library Website
- Middletown Town Clerk Website
- Newport City Clerk Website
- North Smithfield Town Clerk Website
- Portsmouth City Government Archives
- Portsmouth Town Clerk Website
- Portsmouth Town Clerk's Office Birth Records
- Portsmouth Town Clerk's Office Death Records
- Portsmouth Town Clerk's Office Marriage Records
- Rhode Island Division of Vital Records Marriage Applications
- St. Ann Cemetery Burial Records
- The City of Cranston City Records
- Tiverton Public Library Website
- Tiverton Town Clerk Website
- Town of Burrillville Clerk's Office Vital Records
- Town of Middletown Clerk's Office Property Records
- Warren Town Clerk Website
- West Greenwich Town Clerk's Department Website
- West Greenwich Town Clerk's Office Vital Records
- West Warwick Town Clerk's Office Marriage Records
- West Warwick Town Clerk's Office Vital Records
- West Warwick Town Clerk's Office Website